This post may contain affiliate links.
From friends to family members, I love hosting overnight guests in my home. Before my guests arrive, the perfectionist in me always ensures my guest bathroom is impeccably clean and presentable (similar to my guest bedroom).
I like to treat my guests like I would want to be treated if I were a guest in their home. And, for me, that means preparing a comfortable, warm, and well-stocked bathroom. I want them to have an experience similar to a boutique hotel.
So, if you are anything like me and want to adequately prepare your guest bathroom for your house guests, check out this extensive guest bathroom essentials list. This list includes many bathroom items your guests may need while prioritizing style, comfort, and some luxuries.
Guest Bathroom Essentials List Must-Haves
Every guest bathroom should have accessories that serve two main purposes: aesthetics and functionality. These little details and bathroom necessities allow guests to utilize the bathroom best.
The following essentials for the bathroom should be standard in any guest bathroom space.
- Bath Mat
- Trash can
- Hand soap dispenser
- Toilet Brush
- Trash can
- Toothbrush holder
- Towel hook or towel bar
- Shower curtain
- Laundry hamper
- Toilet paper
- Kleenex tissue box
Towels are a huge part of the guest bathroom essentials list. While you may not need luxury towels, a high quality towel that is soft and absorbent is ideal. Soft towels you may want to include are:
- Bath towel
- Hand towels
- Wash cloth
Opt for white towels. White towels are the best way to assure my guests that the towel is unsoiled and fresh with no presence of stains and spots. White towels also give the guest bathroom a nice, crisp, clean feel.
Lastly, leave extra towels in a decorative basket or a cabinet near the guest bath where guests can easily access them.
Keep a small basket on top of the bathroom counter with basic toiletries and bathroom supplies the guests might need. Leaving out extra toiletries will add convenience for my guests. Here are a few things you can add to your guest bathroom toiletry basket:
- Cotton swabs
- Cotton balls
- Q tips
- Feminine hygiene products, i.e., tampons
- Gel Mask
- Over-the-counter pain reliever (Aspirin, ibuprofen, etc.)
- Face wash
- Bathing items (Travel-size soap or body wash)
- Lip Balm
You can even take it a step further and provide your guest with items that will allow them to unwind and have a spa-like experience. Your guests will thank you for this. Items could include:
- Essential oil diffusers
- Bath slippers
- Bath salts
- Bubble bath
- Reading materials
- Blue tooth speakers
- Nail grooming Kit
Hair Supplies & Products
Traveling with certain hair products might be challenging for your friend or family member. So be sure to stock your guest bathroom with hair products that they will likely need but are unable to carry.
- Blow Dryer
- Hair Spray
- Shampoo and Conditioner
- Hair pins
- Elastic Hair Bands
Basic Cleaning Supplies
Store basic cleaning supplies under the vanity sink in the guest bathroom. Some guests may want the option to clean up after themselves. Cleaning supplies are essential for this. Try to keep the following bathroom things handy for your guests:
- Multi-Surface Cleaner
- Air Freshener
- Clorox Wipes
- Rubber gloves
How to Decorate a Guest Bathroom?
Now that we covered what is needed in the guest bathroom to make guests feel comfortable, it’s time to beautify and accessorize the space. This is a great way to showcase your personal style and make a stylish impression. You can easily accessorize your bathroom by incorporating the following guest bathroom ideas and decorative items:
- Greenery or Fresh Flowers – Natural greenery, fresh flowers, or a fake plant will help to liven up the space and bring nature inside, giving the space lots of vibrancy.
- Add beautiful Wall art – Beautiful artwork can make your small space come alive. Add contemporary paintings or design a gallery wall. Beautifully selected art pieces will make a huge difference in the look of your guest bath.
- Bold bath mat – Go bold with the bath mat colors. Bright orange, yellow, earthy green, and other unique patterned designs will make your bathroom stand out. This delightful and tasteful pop of color can help to lift the bathroom’s spirits while giving your guests somewhere plush and dry to step on after a shower.
- Bright shower curtain – similar to the bath mats include a new shower curtain that instantly grabs your visitors’ attention This statement piece will be a focal point in the bathroom that is guaranteed to wow your guests.
- Stylish refillable dispensers – incorporate matching hand soap and lotion dispensers on the bathroom sink countertop. This can help to make your space look cohesive and coordinated.
- Jars for decanting – Use pretty jars to display frequently used items such as cotton balls and Q tips. This will make the space look less cluttered and tidy, adding a fancy flair. These small details will go a long way.
- Add a towel ladder – Towel ladders are super stylish and a great way to add storage space to an already limited space. Your guests can use it to store their towels.
I hope you have found this list of essentials for bathroom useful. Please drop a comment below to let me know what you think of this guest bathroom essentials list. Feel free also to follow me on my social media pages – Pinterest and Instagram or subscribe to my mailing list for other design inspiration, DIY projects, and home decor ideas.
Tamara White is the creator and founder of The Thrifty Apartment, a home decor and DIY blog that focuses on affordable and budget-friendly home decorating ideas and projects. Tamara documents her home improvement journey, love of thrifting, tips for space optimization, and creating beautiful spaces.