Curtains have the ability to transform a space by adding personality, style, and character while anchoring a room. However, the wrong curtain length can disrupt your design and decor plans.
Curtains that are too short can create a design challenge, leaving a room looking awkward and incomplete.
While it is a very frustrating design dilemma, there’s an easy way to fix it. I’ll walk you through the easiest methods to lengthen a short curtain without the need for sewing.
Standard Curtain Lengths
The curtain length you choose may vary depending on the style you are going for. Most curtains come in the following measurements:
- 63 inches
- 84 inches
- 94 inches
- 108 inches
- 120 inches
The rule of thumb is that curtains can float slightly off the ground, kiss, or sweep the floor. However, if your curtain doesn’t do either of these things, it’s time to reconfigure it with these hacks.
Three Ways to Lengthen Your Short Curtain
1 – Use a Curtain Ring or Curtain Clip
Curtain rings are a practical solution for extending a short curtain without sewing. They are not only simple to install but also highly effective. Using curtain rings is one of the easiest and most efficient ways to increase the length of your curtain.
Curtain rings can give your curtain up to 2.5 inches in length. And lengthening curtains can make a big difference in their overall appearance.
How to Use Curtain Clips
- To increase the curtain’s length using clips, begin by attaching the clips individually along the top edge of the curtain. Distribute the clips evenly, and there’s no need to be overly precise with the spacing – you can estimate it. Typically, this will involve placing around 8-10 rings per panel to achieve the desired look.
- Once you have attached the rings to the curtains, take your rod and insert it through each of the curtain rings.
- Once the rings are connected to the curtain, you can then hang them.
2 – Loosen the Hem
You can also extend the curtain’s length by releasing the hem. This simple adjustment can add several extra inches to the curtain’s overall length.
For example, this particular curtain had an additional 4 inches of materials that could be released for length. That’s a sizeable amount of length you can add to the curtain. So, if you have a curtain 4 inches off the floor, releasing the hem can help to give it the desired look.
Here’s a step-by-step guide on how to lengthen a curtain without sewing:
- Identify the Hem: Start by locating the hem of the curtain, which is typically the folded and stitched portion at the bottom edge of the curtain.
- Find the Stitches: Look for a thread line that runs across the width of the curtain, securing the folded hem.
- Carefully Cut the Threads: Using scissors or a seam ripper, cut the threads that hold the hem in place. Be cautious and take your time to avoid accidentally cutting other parts of the curtain.
- Unfold and Flatten: After removing the stitches, unfold the hem, and then use an iron to press it flat. The iron will help remove any creases or wrinkles.
3 – Adjust the Curtain Rod
If your curtain rod is close to the ceiling, you may want to adjust the curtain rod height. Here’s how it’s done.
- Adjust the Curtain Rod Height: Lower the curtain rod to bring the curtain closer to the ground loosening a few screws or brackets holding the rod in place.
- Check Alignment: After adjusting the height, ensure that the curtain rod is leveled and properly aligned.
By following these simple steps, you can effectively extend your curtain’s length without the need for any sewing.
Other Ideas you might also like:
- How to Make a Guest Room Cozy and Inviting
- 18 Cozy Living Room Ideas on a Budget
- 7 Best Small Apartment Decorating Ideas on a Budget
- 15 Easy Home Makeover Ideas You Can Do on A Tight Budget
I hope you found these tips useful for lengthening a short curtain. Having longer curtains can enhance the overall aesthetic appeal of a room, creating the illusion of height and elegance.
Having longer curtains will make your space look more polished and well-designed. Lengthening curtains can also help to balance the proportions of a room.
Please comment below to let me know what you think of this DIY closet makeover. Feel free also to follow me on my social media pages – Pinterest and Instagram or subscribe to my mailing list for other design inspiration, DIY projects, and home decor ideas.
Tamara White is the creator and founder of The Thrifty Apartment, a home decor and DIY blog that focuses on affordable and budget-friendly home decorating ideas and projects. Tamara documents her home improvement journey, love of thrifting, tips for space optimization, and creating beautiful spaces.