A pillow is a necessity for a good night’s sleep. With so many pillows to choose from, buying pillows is not always easy and it can be quite challenging to decipher which is best for your vacation rental. Choosing the right pillow may require knowledge of your guests, their go-to sleeping positions, and the level of pillow firmness and support they prefer.
While pillows aren’t always designed to be a one-size-fits-all, I am sharing some of the best pillows for Airbnb that will appeal to most of your guests and ways to ensure you are choosing the right pillows. As an Airbnb Superhost, hosting for over 5 years, my favorite is the Beckham Hotel Collections Pillows which guests seem to love. Check out the best pillow for Airbnb and Vacation Rentals that your guests will love.
Best Pillows for Airbnb
Beckham Hotel Collection Pillows are 100% memory foam. This pillow is ultra soft, nontoxic and allergy friendly. This is a pillow that I personally use in my short term rentals. It is made with cooling technology and will fit almost any type of sleeper, including back, stomach, or side sleepers.
It is chemical-free, stain-resistant, and machine washable. This pillow also comes highly rated by other Airbnb hosts and has positive reviews, making them some of the best pillows for Airbnb.Buy on Amazon
This standard-sized memory foam bed pillow is fantastic for the stomach, side, and back sleepers. The pillow is filled with shredded memory foam pieces, allowing it to mold to the guest’s head, neck, and shoulders while sleeping. This pillow provides the best sleep support and maximum comfort.
The Bedufsar bed pillows are made with down alternative fillings. They provide an outstanding balance of supple softness and plump firmness, providing gentle support and adequate comfort for the head and neck. Excellent pillows for side and back sleepers. They are machine washable and certified by Oeko-tex, which assures textiles meet high safety and environmental criteria.Buy at Amazon
This Digital Decor Premium Gold Hotel hypoallergenic pillow has a down alternative fiber fill. It is excellent for both side and back Sleepers. This pillow is highly breathable and utilizes a 220 Thread Count, 100% Cotton fabric to maximize coolness even on hot nights.
This long-lasting pillow is described as very comfy – almost like sleeping on clouds. And the best part is, this pillow comes with a 30 money-back guarantee after use if unsatisfied.
This hybrid pillow is made of shredded Memory Foam Pillow with a fluffy down alternative fill. It is great for all types of sleepers, including side, back and stomach sleepers. These pillows come in standard, queen, and king sizes. They are ultra soft and almost malleable, with excellent support for sleeping. They are considered medium firm – not too soft, not too hard.Buy on Amazon
6. Viewstar Bed Pillows
The Viewstart pillows come vacuum sealed, so airing out will take some time. But once you allow them to air out, you will be surprised by the fluffiness and softness of these pillows. These pillows will provide amazing support for your guest’s neck and shoulders, and they are incredibly comfortable.Buy on Amazon
Others to Consider:
Here are a couple of affordable options to consider:
With significant great reviews and an unbeatable price, the Sertapedic No-Go-Flat Bed Pillow is a “not too hard, not too soft” pillow that is the perfect choice for your guests. This pillow maintains its shape night after night.
It has a supportive foam core surrounded by a plush SupraLoft polyester fiber fill that is hypoallergenic and made from 100% polyester so that you can breathe easily. Great for both back and side sleepers.
This Mainstay Comfort Complete Bed pillow resembles a down comfort. It has “moisture-wicking technology” to help keep your guests cool at night. With such low prices, you can grab several of these hypoallergenic pillows for your guests and replace them when needed. They are also machine washable.
Criteria for Choosing the Right Pillow for Your Airbnb
Don’t underestimate the power of a good – or bad – pillow. The right pillow can make or break a guest’s sleeping experience. A good pillow will keep the head, neck, and spine in neutral alignment so your guests don’t wake up with aches and pains. The best pillow will make for a comfortable night’s sleep. No one pillow size, shape, or material fits all. Here is a quick guideline to follow:
- Fill – The best pillow-filling material can make a big difference, especially if guests are sensitive to certain materials like down and feather. Fill options may include memory foam, down, synthetic down, polyester fill, latex, cotton, and wool.
- Sleeping Position – It is important to find a pillow that may work for all sleeping positions, as some guests may sleep on their side, stomach, or back. Side sleepers may even want a fuller, firmer pillow to give your neck the support it needs and take some weight off your shoulder. Stomach sleepers may need a soft pillow – or less full thinner pillow – underneath their head. Back sleepers may need a medium soft pillow that’s not too full or too flat to keep your head and neck in alignment.
- Price – As hosts, the price of all items used in your Airbnb will always matter. We are highly price-sensitive because every dollar put into Airbnb impacts your bottom line and net profit. However, don’t let the price deter you from choosing a good quality pillow for your short term rentals. Your guests will thank you with five-star reviews.
- Weight – The pillow’s weight comes down to personal preference. However, Memory foam or latex pillows will be heavier, while a down or synthetic pillow will be a little lighter. Down and synthetic pillows are lightweight choices, while memory foam and latex are heavier.
- Fabric – The type of fabric the pillow is made of is an important factor. The pillow fabric needs to be breathable and durable. You need pillows that will allow for air to flow for your guests.
- Size – Pillows come in various sizes, but for your Airbnb, a standard pillow size and a king size are ideal. A standard pillow is about 20 inches by 26 inches, Queen size pillow is 20 inches by 30 inches, and an average king-size pillow is 20 inches by 36 inches – though they sometimes run slightly smaller or larger depending on the manufacturer. Standard pillows are appropriate for most guests, especially for twin to queen-sized beds. A king pillow might only be necessary if you have a king-size bed.
Best Pillow Protectors for Airbnb
Your pillows will need to be protected, so try adding a pillow protector to extend the life of your pillow while keeping it fresh and clean longer. A pillow protector encases the entire pillow and shields it completely from allergens like pet dander, dust mites and bugs, skin oil and flakes, and body sweat.
Even with pillowcases, pillow protectors are a must-have when furnishing your short term and mid-term rental properties. Here are the best pillow protectors for your Airbnb rentals.
How many pillows should be provided to Airbnb Guests?
Since there is no telling what kind of sleeper your guest may be, you want to provide a variety of pillows for all sleeping positions and patterns – soft, medium, firm, and even extra firm. It’s a good idea to have two pillows per guest.
I typically provide at least two firm pillows and two soft pillows per bed, and I leave a spare pillow in the closet. If it’s a smaller bed, one soft and one firm will suffice.
When is it time to replace your pillow?
Bed pillows should be replaced after 18 months (though a memory foam pillow and other high quality pillows can last up to three years). Bed pillows are highly used – 7-8 hours a night, often seven days a week, by multiple rotating guests.
Sometimes you may need to replace the pillow sooner than 18 months if it is badly stained, torn, lumpy, flat, or smells so bad that no amount of washing will fix it. Even the best Airbnb Pillows collect dead skin cells, mildew, mold, fungus, and dust mites, so it’s important to change them.
How to wash an Airbnb pillow?
It is important to choose machine-washable pillows since some require spot cleaning and handwashing. You need to be able to turn over the space for your next guests quickly. Make sure to remove the pillow covers and wash both pieces separately in cold water on a gentle cycle.
Use mild soap (no bleach or fabric softener). Rinse well, then tumble dry low until damp-dry. Reshape while still damp; air dry completely before using again to prevent shrinkage. Remove foam or gel inserts for memory foam pillows before putting them in the washing machine.
Other Airbnb hosting ideas you might like:
- Best Towels for Airbnb that Guests Will Love
- The Best Sheets for Airbnb and Short-Term Rentals
- How to Furnish Your Airbnb on a Budget
- 15 Simple Airbnb Bedroom Ideas to Guarantee 5-Star Review
I hope you have found this article useful. Pillows can play an important role in your guest’s having a good night’s sleep. So, invest in the best pillows for Airbnb to guarantee excellent reviews, ultimately leading to more bookings and satisfied guests.
Please comment below to let me know what you think of this article. Feel free also to follow me on my social media pages – Pinterest and Instagram or subscribe to my mailing list for other design inspiration, DIY projects, and home decor ideas.
Tamara White is the creator and founder of The Thrifty Apartment, a home decor and DIY blog that focuses on affordable and budget-friendly home decorating ideas and projects. Tamara documents her home improvement journey, love of thrifting, tips for space optimization, and creating beautiful spaces.