The triple sheeting method is widely used in hotels and BnBs for bed-making. The technique involves carefully changing and maintaining bedding in three layers – the fitted sheet, a flat sheet, followed by a blanket, and another flat sheet.
This technique provides a quick way to efficiently change the bedding while ensuring the beds remain comfortable and hygienic. It is the ideal bed-making method, so understanding how it works could be valuable.
As an experienced Airbnb Host, I have found the triple sheeting method extremely efficient and economical. So follow along to learn how this method works so you can make the perfect bed every time, triple sheeting at home.
What is the Triple Sheeting Method?
In most hotels, vacation rentals, and B&Bs in the hospitality industry, triple sheeting has become the go-to method for making beds efficiently and effectively. This bed-making technique uses three layers of fabric to make a bed: a fitted sheet on the mattress, followed by a flat sheet, a blanket, and another flat sheet. This helps keep linens clean while also protecting against dirt and bacteria.
Triple sheeting is much quicker than changing out duvet covers each time, making it more cost-effective in the long run. Even though this technique may seem complicated at first glance, it is quite simple to do once you get familiar with it – so don’t be discouraged!
What you need for Triple Sheeting
- 1 Fitted sheet – Utopia Fitted Sheet is a great option for single fitted sheets.
- 2 Flat sheets – Utopia Flat Sheet is an excellent option for individual flat sheets. For other sheet recommendations, check out the Best Sheets for Airbnb
- Blanket, Comforter, or Duvet Insert
- Supporting Pillows, Pillowcases, and Pillow Protectors – Check out the Best Pillows for Airbnb for pillow recommendations.
- Optional supporting mattress protector and optional mattress pad
How to Triple Sheet a Guest Bed
Step 1 – Apply Fitted Sheet
Start by placing the fitted sheet onto the mattress. Make sure that it is securely tucked under the bed’s mattress.
Pro Tip – You can also use a flat sheet as an alternative to the fitted, and ensure it is securely tucked under the mattress.
Step 2 – Lay the Flat Sheet
The next step is to lay the flat sheet along the bed, aligning the top of the flat sheet with the top of the edges of the mattress. You can let the foot of the flat sheet hang loose but do not tuck it quite yet. The sheet should lay on the bed evenly on all sides.
Step 3 – Add Choice of Blanket
Add your choice of a blanket, duvet insert, or comforter on top of the flat sheet. Ideally, you want to begin about six inches just below the top of the mattress and flat sheet.
Step 4 – Lay Additional Flat Sheet
Place the second flat sheet over the blanket, aligning the sheet’s edges with the top of the mattress again – repeating step 2.
Step 5 – Time to Fold
Bring the top of both flat sheets together and fold them down about six inches. For this step, the blanket should not be included just yet.
Fold the sheets once again with the blanket contained this time. This will allow the blanket to be fully covered, protecting the blanket from touching the guest’s skin and vice versa. The sheets should now be folded twice, and the blanket folded once.
Step 6 – Time to Tuck
Tuck everything under the mattress, including both flat sheets as well as the blanket. Tuck it neatly under the mattress, pulling it tightly to secure the bedding and stretching out any wrinkles and creases in the sheets.
Step 7 – Finalize the Look of the Bed
Lastly, finish the look of the bed by adding your pillowcases and throw pillows for a modern, crisp look.
And that should do it! You should now have a beautifully prepared bed for your guests to enjoy.
Benefits of the Triple Sheeting Method for Housekeeping
There are a number of benefits to using the triple sheeting method. Here are a few benefits to consider:
- Saves time between turnovers – The triple sheeting method is a quick way to change the bed and make it more comfortable for guests. This method is faster than traditional ways of making a bed and requires less effort and fewer steps than changing duvet covers. This method is much quicker than replacing duvet covers – taking only a fraction of the time compared to more traditional methods – and can drastically improve housekeeping efficiency.
- Simplifies the laundry routine – The triple sheeting method is an excellent way to simplify your routine and reduce laundry time and cost. Instead of laundering a heavy duvet cover, three separate sheets are used that are considerably lighter in weight. These can be easily cleaned more often, making them much more efficient than a duvet cover.
- More economical – The Triple Sheeting Method is a great cost-saving strategy for an Airbnb and Vacation Rental. The cost savings from using this method is significant as you can wash and reuse the outer layer. Hosts can create multiple bedding sets from just two flat sheets and one fitted sheet. Not only that, it is more economical than purchasing expensive duvet covers. For example, if the top flat sheet gets torn or stained, the cost to replace the sheet is significantly less than replacing the duvet cover. Overall, this helps hosts save big on their bottom line and profitability!
- Clean and modern appearance – The triple sheeting method is a hotel-grade technique that ensures crisp and clean bed aesthetics. It gives beds a more put-together and tidy look. It helps with removing wrinkles and allows the bed to look spick and span.
What size sheets to use for triple sheeting?
The triple sheeting method requires two (2) flat sheets, one (1) fitted sheet, and a blanket. The size of the sheets should depend on the size of the bed you are making. Standard bed sizes are Twin, Full, Queen, and King, and you can use any size sheets that will fit those beds. You can go one sheet size higher for an even tighter tuck to give it an even cleaner, crisp look.
What is the best blanket for triple sheeting?
For triple sheeting, you can use a blanket, duvet insert, or comforter between the sheets. The best blanket for triple sheeting is one that fits the size of your bed; twin, queen, or king size. The blanket that I use is the Bedsure Comforter.
I hope you have found this step-by-step tutorial useful. For more tips, please check out How to Style Your Bed on a Budget and 15 Simple Airbnb Bedroom Ideas to Guarantee 5-Star Reviews.
Please comment below to let me know what you think of this article. Feel free also to follow me on my social media pages – Pinterest and Instagram or subscribe to my mailing list for other design inspiration, DIY projects, and home decor ideas.
Tamara White is the creator and founder of The Thrifty Apartment, a home decor and DIY blog that focuses on affordable and budget-friendly home decorating ideas and projects. Tamara documents her home improvement journey, love of thrifting, tips for space optimization, and creating beautiful spaces.